Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Guest post: Making Strawberry Jam


And so another ambitious jam season begins. This weekend Marc, Erin and I headed out to Saanich to collect a piece of the spring/summer bounty. Strawberries were at the top of the list, although SunWing: I could not love you more.


So, jam! This winter/early spring, I really had to ration the jam I managed to make. This year, I hope to avoid this notion, or delay it, by making quite a lot more than last year.

I use a Nigella Lawson strawberry jam recipe with one major difference. I like her recipe very much (balsamic vinegar! no pectin!), but she doesn't process her jam in a water bath. A lot of the British recipes I've looked at don't bother with this. I can't totally abandon it though, so I process it for 10 minutes. It hasn't led to any problems with consistency or anything like that, and it makes me feel better, so I figure it's worth it.

I hope to seduce Erin with the ease and payoff of all of this.

I'm thinking I've got the payoff part in the bag, don't you?

4 comments:

Erin said...

We sure love strawberries 'round here, don't we? After watching a portion of Jen's jam making process, I AM impressed by how easy it is. That doesn't mean that I'm ready to take it on myself, though...

Jen said...

I know. We are OBSESSED! Haha.

Lydia said...

I totes want to make jam! I wish we could have a jamming bee, Erin.

Erin said...

I'm down with any sort of bee!