Friday, November 17, 2006

Don't play with your food

I love nature, but one thing that I don't love about nature is animals that torture their prey. Is it really necessary? I guess I'm referring to cats and killer whales. This has been on my mind since I woke up at 3:30 am at Lydia's house to her frantic calls for help. No one was breaking into her house, which is the thought that got my heart racing; rather, Lydia's cat Neko was killing a mouse - slowly - under her bed. I ran to her room to find her standing on said bed. I didn't carry her out of the room, but I'm sure she wanted me to - she was that upset. You can read about the episode and the final outcome here and here.

While wasting some time on the internet looking for pictures of killer whales torturing seals (an activity I've seen on numerous documentaries), I came upon this clip from the BBC documentary Planet Earth. I'm posting it today because I used to have a problem with sharks, but now that I think about it, I might like them - more than cats and transient killer whales anyway (BC's resident killer whales don't eat seals or other whales, so I like them ok). The fact that sharks are killing machines means they don't make their prey suffer (more than necessary), and I'm onside with that.

I think it's one of the scariest clips I've ever seen in a nature documentary, probably because of the use of slow motion, so be forewarned. Everyone has time to watch it because it's only twenty seconds long.

7 comments:

robyn. said...

have you watched the planet earth series? it's such a beautiful documentary! i want it.

i do agree with you. down with torture! up with quick death!

Anonymous said...

I was watching a documentary about the 10 most savage felines, and house cats were number one because they hunt and kill for pleasure, killing off endangered species and animals that they wouldn't eat even if they had to hunt for their food.

I have never seen a documentary about whales.

Erin Riley said...

i've seen a few episodes of planet earth (including the shark episode) because cbc aired the series a few months back.

blue planet, another bbc documentary, has some great killer whale bits. but i don't think they'll air it on chinese tv, imti.

down with killing for killing for pleasure!

Anonymous said...

1. I think sharks are still in my Book of Darkness... they might not play with their food, but they aren't shy of cruelty if it's more efficient. I think it's a Blue Planet episode that shows a great white shark ripping a seal in half and then leaving it to bleed to death because it's easier than fighting with it. Clever, but still. Book of Darkness.

2. Which Kids In The Hall character preferred wolverines over other animals because they were "only ones who kill for pleasure!" ? Francesca Fiore? Somebody awesome.

Erin Riley said...

sarah, you are in my book of what? lightness? thanks to your reference to francesca fiore. i'm not sure if she was the one fond of wolverines, but she's awesome and that's what counts. i may have some kids in the hall vhs tapes kicking around for our next get together...

Anonymous said...

hi dear, listen to this, it's my new favorite band, love nanders

Anonymous said...

oops i forgot to put the link on
http://delhi2dublin.com/
love nanders