Friday, October 20, 2006

Catch-all

I'm not one for writing catch-up posts on my blog. I always wrote them in my journals when I was young (speaking of which, my paper journal has become really lonely since I started this thing) and they inevitably turned into a dull list of all of the things I had meant to write about. Sadly, I'm about to write one such post now, but hopefully it won't be as boring as those others.


First off, my grandma turned 90 years old last Sunday. Isn't she a fox? We had celebrations over the Thanksgiving weekend, but all the guests were gone by the time the actual birthday came around, so grandma and I ate A&W Teen Burgers (her choice) together for a muted version of earlier festivities. I'm so happy that we live in the same city right now; I know many people wish they could eat A&W with their grandparents, and I thought of them as I ate my burger.


Next, I want to write about my Thanksgiving weekend, even though it seems like distant memory (maybe I should throw out that left-over mashed turnip already). I did mention that my dad and I went to Navy Days when my parents were here, but I also wanted to say that it was wonderful to have them kicking around for a few days, along with my Auntie Mavis (from Ireland) and my Uncle John (from New Westminster). We hosted Thanksgiving dinner at our house and it was a smash hit: simple (stovetop stuffing and turkey breasts instead of a whole turkey) and delicious (pumpkin pie and spiced honey wine). I took this photo of my mom and Mavis after dinner. The mirror is a new addition that my Mom picked up while shopping with Michael. I know taking pictures of people's reflections isn't a new concept, but I love the effect it creates in this photo. They look surreal and it reminds me of Alice through the Looking Glass.


Finally, I wanted to show the world this beautiful picture of Norman that my Mom recently finished painting. For those of you who didn't know him, Norman was our family dog for 13 years, and even though it's been several months since my parents had to put him to sleep, I still can't bring myself to write about it. I'm just so impressed with how she totally captured him in this painting, and I've asked for a print of it for Christmas. I'm getting choked up just writing this post, so I'll just leave it at that.

On a happier, sexier note, Michael and I are going to see Shortbus in the theatre tonight. If it lives up to the hype, I won't be writing a review of it here - I'm too shy.

8 comments:

Erin Riley said...

I just have to say that I struggled with the layout of this post - the vertical pictures are really awkward!

Anonymous said...

I was glad for a new TP (oh-oh, that's not such a great acronym) to end of my work week with.
I am also grateful to live in the same city as my grandma and my grandpa as well. Grandparents add an incredible mix of perspective, history, criticism, humour, and unconditional love that no one else could do in the same way.
I also think that intergenerational relationships are so valuable and sadly lacking in our culture. I seek them out whenever possible and encourage others to do the same.
Happy weekends to all,
I’m off for beers with Erin

Lydia said...

I even felt choked up just looking at the picture of Norman. Your mom is so sweet.
I like the new mirror.

Anonymous said...

Your grandmother is a fox! That is so exciting that she is 90. She looks like a fun lady, too.

Did you know that I grew up in New Westminster? I did. My sister still lives there.

The painting of your family dog is wonderful. I still feel sad from time to time about our old family dog. I think he's really irreplaceable. For a while my Dad owned his own business and it was named after our old dog, Calloway. It's so weird and wonderful the impact that our pets have in our lives.

Your reminder about the mashed turnips reminded me that I have some yams somewhere in our fridge! Yikes!

Finally, I like the mirror photo. At first I thought it was an old photo from the 70s or something! Just b/c of the colours...

Anonymous said...

I really like how you go from grandma to beloved dog to sex all in one post. It makes for delightful reading. Your grandma looks like a lovely lady...and by the sounds of it she would get along well with my grandma. Maybe they should have perogies together when my grandma visits in December.

On another note, I should connect with your friend Brie and tap in to her knowledge of New Westminster, where I am currently living. Where to eat, where to walk, lovely things in general...suggestions?

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd had the chance to meet your grandma while I was in Victoria. She sounds like one pretty freakin' cool lady.

And I also wish I'd had the chance to eat A&W burgers with you. I was under the impression you'd turned all "healthy living" so I didn't even bother suggesting it...

Anonymous said...

Ummm, I want an A&W burger and ORings.
Holy power of suggestion.

Erin Riley said...

When I picked up the burgers (the first I've had in a while, Imti), I obviously wanted onion rings too, but they didn't have any! Bum deal!