Saturday, July 11, 2009

Guest post: Making time for a stroll


I'm not a person who thinks about work when I'm not at work. This, I feel, is a real stroke of luck. However, during the work day, watch out! When work tends towards stressful, like it has lately, getting a break during the day has been something that I really have to try to remember (like eating!). Until lately, I've had a hard time figuring out what to do that will actually give me a chance to think about something else, and not just stand up from my desk and then sit back down.

I have found that taking pictures on my strolls really really helps (although I'm not sure the Oak Bay neighbours always agree!). It forces me to engage with the outside world and notice it, and not just keep spinning about my work tasks, which will really take all the space you give it. The above scene is half a block from my work. Where better to go than a rose garden? It's almost funny being in there. There are a lot of rose varieties, they all smell different and it's always empty. Basically, it's a little taste of Alice in Wonderland. And what could be a better balance to picky work detail than that?

1 comment:

Erin said...

I agree about engaging with your surroundings through photo-taking. I never thought about it this way before, but I totally do it!