Saturday, March 19, 2011

Being prepared

When I put my earthquake kit together in 2007, it was because Michael and I were superstitious. I don't think I have to explain why we felt it was necessary to revisit our supplies this weekend.

This is what we've added:

A First Aid kit. (A big omission the first time around.)

A crow bar.

Waterproof matches. (We live in Victoria, after all.)

A whistle.

Freeze-dried meals, including space ice cream to lift our spirits. (The meals don't expire until 2016, so they're worth the investment.)

Water purification tablets.

We also added more bottled water, a survival handbook and a windup radio/flashlight since that original photo was taken.

If you live in an earthquake zone, I hope you're taking appropriate measures too; hopefully we'll never have to realize the fruits of our labour.

2 comments:

qcwinks said...

See, my question here is where do you leave the earthquake kit? Where is it safe from tsunami and unlikely to be buried or crussshed?

Erin Riley said...

We have it in a closet near our front door, but you're right Quintin, it might be a wasted effort. That said, it's really the only thing a person can do to prepare.