Thursday, January 07, 2010

New year


Happy new year, friends. We almost didn't make a holiday card this year, but I persevered. The photo was taken on Boxing Day. Can you believe that the skating and the skate rentals were free (well, by donation)? The cabin with the wood burning stove where we warmed our feet was also complimentary. What a festive gesture, Saskatoon.

The card was delayed because I was sick during the days leading up to Christmas. The long and short of it is I had to take antibiotics for an infection, and my stomach didn't like them. The infection was caused by a stitch that was left in my nose after I had a mole removed last summer. The good news: the stitch is out and my nose is healing nicely. The bad news: I couldn't eat for three days. Rest assured: I'll be writing a letter to my doctor in the near future.

In addition to that letter, I have a some other tentative plans for the next few months: learn to play this song on my new ukulele; buy some succulents and keep them alive; add some plants (succulents?) to my cubicle décor; read more short stories, starting with collections by Alice Munro, Louisa May Alcott, William Faulkner and Fyodor Dostoyevsky; and go for an eye exam.

The first one is the most intimidating for me, but I think I'm finally ready.

2 comments:

brie said...

Anti-biotic sickness is so disconcerting. Definitely let your doctor know.

I think we were in France when we saw your New Year's card and both of us agreed: Erin and Michael are SUPER CUTE!

Erin Riley said...

Thanks Brie!

The antibiotic sickness was due to some bad luck on my part. Apparently I have some bad (but common) bacteria in my gut that is resistant to antibiotics.

The angry letter is going to my the plastic surgeon's nurse who left a stitch in my nose!